Hey everyone! Tudo bem? Thanks for talking to me; I really appreciate it!
It's been a really busy week, but since the days have really fallen into a routine, I'm not sure what's new to talk about. My district (which is still awesome) has a bunch of equally fantastic teachers who like to throw us into weird situations with investigators to see how we react. I can't say I've noticed a difference in my Portuguese between last week and this week, but several people have told me I've improved, which is heartening. An awful lot of our time is spent either in class or studying, which means I don't have a lot of neat stories to tell, but we manage to have fun anyway. The elders are in the middle of a dramatic war where they make eye contact with someone else and then shoot an invisible blowpipe dart at them. If you get killed, you have to die suddenly and dramatically and you're only safe if you cover your neck or never look at people in the eye. They like to steal each other's nametags as sneakily as possible, too. But I promise that we're actually getting work done. We're memorizing quite a few scriptures in Portuguese as well as the missionary purpose, the convite baptismal and the First Vision, so we always have a lot on our minds.
I bullied my poor companion into singing in the devotional choir every Tuesday and today we'll be doing a gorgeous version of Jesus, Once of Humble Birth. Everyone is being a little bit evasive/dropping hints about this devotional, so I'm suspecting that a General Authority may be coming to speak. Guess we'll find out tonight! The temple also opened this week, so we got to go for the first time since we got here and that was pretty fantastic.
No one in my district and only one person in my zone has gotten their Visa so far and it's pretty likely that I'll be reassigned to a stateside mission for a bit, but I'm actually really excited to find out where that will be. Just as long as I get to Brazil eventually, I'd be happy with anywhere in the US. (I did joke about how I'd go anywhere but Texas, because we have three people from Texas in our district, but one of our teachers, Irmão Buttars said he thought the same thing and got reassigned there. And he loved it. I know I'll love any place, but it seems that karma is in Texas's favor right now).
Mom and Dad, I'm sorry that the mountains in Hyrum are on fire right now, but I hope you guys are doing all right and aren't getting too much smoke. Those pictures you sent were really cool. I'm glad you guys get to see Granny so often, too, so give her and all the other Hyrum-based relatives my love!
Thanks for writing, Becky and Grandma, I'm glad that everyone is doing well in Virginia too.
Erin Brady, you've gotta send me your address (mail or email) so I can respond to you! (if I've got the time, but I will try) Thanks for remembering me; you're the best and I wish you much luck!
Johnathan, that was the most ridiculously disappointing DearElder I've ever received. Sure, my district thought I was super popular and all, but I know there's more going on in your life than that!
Erin Stansel, that's so fantastic that you're working at the temple! I bet that's giving you a lot of preparation for your mission, though you've got a little more time still. Have you amassed enough clothing for an army yet? Got all the layers for those chilly Baltimore winters? I can't wait til you can tell me about your experiences there!
Anyways, I apologize for this being so short, but they keep us far too busy to think much about home. This has been one of the most physically draining and spiritually uplifting times of my life. We had Rosemary M. Wixom, the General Primary President, speak on Sunday and she and her husband were in charge of the DC South Mission for several years, so she had some really neat things to say. Basically, if I can l learn to love everyone on my mission, work hard, and follow the Savior, that pretty much clears up any of the problems I could have as a missionary. There is a fantastic Ezra Taft Benson quote that I wish I could quote right now, but as far as I can tell, work, love, and Jesus Christ are the key to everything I need. If I can master that and forget myself, this should be a fantastic 18 months.
Ask me any questions you like and hopefully I'll think of more to tell about the MTC next week!
Love to all,
Sister Nielsen
No comments:
Post a Comment