Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Brazil, Week 12

Hey everyone, 
Sorry for the late email; our P-day got moved to Tuesday and I'm not totally sure why, because transfers are on Tuesday here also. But hey! Speaking of transfers, Sister Lima, Sister Bergloff, Sister Bell, and I will all be staying in Guabirotuba! We're looking for a new apartment, though, so we may move sometime this transfer but not too far. 
The news that everyone is super excited about is that we finally achieved our monthly baptismal goal (we got 186 baptisms for 177 missionaries) and now we will be able to go to the temple! We'll be going as zones hopefully sometime this week, though I think my teensy zone will likely combine with another. Also, General Conference is this weekend! I can't express how excited I am about that; everyone needs to go to all of the sessions to hear as much of the words of the prophets as possible. 
In other news, we found out that my companion probably has a gluten intolerance, which explains a lot of the challenges we've been running into lately. But other than that, everyone's doing really well here.
So this last Sunday, I gave a talk in sacrament meeting on (you guessed it) missionary work. I actually planned it out pretty carefully beforehand, but since I've never been able to read or recited a prepared script for anything spiritual, I followed my usual tactic of writing my chosen six or seven scriptures on a post-it, trotting up to the podium armed with nothing but that and my trusty Portuguese triple, and praying for the best. But I was really looking forward to the opportunity to speak in church and I quite enjoyed it, though I ran over on time a little. But I was really glad to speak also because of the investigators we brought to church with us.
As for who we're teaching, we're doing a lot of finding new people and sorting through those we find for the elect. It's pretty easy to find nice, friendly people who will let us in and agree with everything we say, but it's more difficult to find those who will keep commitments that allow them to progress (such as coming to church, getting legally married, etc). So we're doing lots of finding by the Spirit and trusting that if we do our best, the elect will be led to us. I'm focusing a lot on talking with everyone, because we can't find those who will progress if we shut our moun]ths or try to guess/judge who will be interested beforehand. 
Anyway, thanks so much for writing me; I love hearing that I'm not forgotten by the real world!
Sister Anna Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment