Monday, February 17, 2014

Curitiba, Week 6

Hi everyone!
So the big news this week is that I'm getting transferred, though I don't know where yet. Transfers work a little differently in this mission; in Florida (because the mission was so large and we had to drive to various transfer points to coordinate everything), we had a conference call with the entire mission on Monday night where President Craig went zone by zone and said who was staying, who was leaving, where to, with what companion, and with what responsibilities (trainer, district leader, etc.) Then P-day is Tuesday and we have transfers on Wednesday. But here since the mission is just two main cities and some rural areas, we find out from the zone leaders Sunday afternoon if we´re staying or going, then we have p-day Monday and a big transfer meeting on Tuesday where we find out about our new area and companion. So we know that both Sister Medrado and I will be leaving, but nothing beyond that. It´s kind of sad because I'm rather fond of this area and ward; even though everyone says that Bom Retiro is a difficult ward to work in, everyone here has been really loving and kind. Also, Síster Medrado is my favorite person on this planet and I'll be really sad to leave her (though there´s actually a chance that we could be transferred together to another area). Also, we´ll be leaving behind a lot of great people we´re working with long-term and I wanted to be able to see their progression. One of them, Rafaela (who is the fabulously gorgeous, intelligent, and kind girlfriend of a less-active RM) will be getting married this month so she can be baptized. I love this family a ton and it will be sad to leave them, as well as a lot of other people, but such is the life of a missionary.
So we've had a lot of rain this week, which is good (though a little harder to dry clothes). Actually, it wasn´t quite rain, but this kind of extremely light misty drizzle that Curitiba is famous for that almost makes it seem like you don´t need an umbrella but after half an hour, you will suddenly find that you are soaked. The other sisters don´t like it much but fortunately I'm fond of this kind of weather.
Síster Medrado also got really sick at the beginning of this week so I had to do a lot of talking on the phone, which by this point I'm actually pretty good at but it still stresses me out. I think a lot of times, people believe that I either understand everything or nothing, which sometimes makes it hard when I didn´t understand just one crucial work and they slowly repeat everything but the one work. But for the most part, I'm content in this language, though I really really need to improve wayyyy more.
This week, we ran into a guy who was absolutely convinced that we were Seventh Day Adventists and nothing would change his mind of that. Even when we slowly repeated the name of the Church, he kept substituting "Sétimos Dias" for "Últimos Dias" and we finally gave up and laughed like crazy as soon as he was out of earshot. We also called a lovely sister in the ward to confirm a lunch appointment but forgot to identify ourselves, so her response was something like "Of course you can eat lunch with me, my dears, but may I ask who is speaking?" I know there are more stories I could tell to establish the flavor of the mission but I can´t think of anything right now so until next week!
Síster Anna Nielsen
(Anna hasn't sent pictures in a while, this one is from the mission president and I believe it's from last month)

No comments:

Post a Comment